RayGen's project in Newbridge, Victoria, represents the world-first deployment of PV Ultra. PV Ultra has been providing electricity to local agribusiness since 2015.
PV Ultra co-generates electricity and heat by using mirrors to focus sunlight onto a photovoltaic receiver containing RayGen's highly efficient PV Ultra modules. Electricity is generated in the photovoltaic receiver and a closed-loop water cooling system captures and stores heat as a useful by-product.
PV Ultra showcases two key innovations: RayGen's PV Ultra module and RayGen's sophisticated operating software with sun tracking capabilities:
PV Ultra module:
● The PV Ultra module is four-square inches (0.01m2) yet has the power capacity of 7,500W (2.5kW electricity, 5kW heat).
● The module is 4,000x more powerful than typical solar panels. A typical solar panel is 0.15kW/m2 whereas PV Ultra modules, with higher concentration, efficiency and cooling, deliver 750kWh/m2.
● The module is designed and tested to IEC certifications to last over 20 years at high performance withstanding rapid fluctuations (e.g. clouds) and all-weather conditions.
Operating Software with sun-tracking
● RayGen's PV Ultra has one of the highest optical efficiencies of any solar power tower at a peak optical efficiency of 85%
● The software uses optical imaging with advanced analytics to rapidly respond to changes in mirror orientation, weather and system components
● RayGen's novel approach eliminates on-site mirror alignment, increases annual yield, and provides customer insights, such as predictive maintenance
The Newbridge project was delivered in two stages:
Stage 1: In 2015, RayGen developed a 250KW pilot project with support from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency.
Stage 2: In 2018, RayGen deployed 2x 250kW PV Ultra systems to expand the Newbridge project. RayGen built this project with support from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency and the Victorian Government's New Energy Jobs Fund.
Project timeline / Project progress
Construction & Commissioning
Construction Opportunities are no longer applicable for this project
Sign up for lastest news
Enter your email address into our system for regular updates on the project